The Basic SCUBA Diving Certification

Our Open Water SCUBA Certification classes allow you to dive all over the world. To get this basic dive certification, you’ll need to:

  • Complete the online/eLearning studies (approximately 14 hours) as well as the in-person review quiz;
  • Demonstrate pool skills (approximately 7 hours);
  • Complete 4 Open Water certification dives.

Check the calendar for Open Water Certification classes.

You can easily complete all steps with SPE Dive School!


The academic portion of the course may either be completed by purchasing a PADI eLearning code, or “self-study” (PADI manual+video) with the in-person reviewing of all the information + taking the required in-person written quiz/test. If you have any questions during your preparation for your written test, we will be happy to assist you. The academic part of the course is followed by the confined water (pool) training (typically conducted on a 7-hour Sunday).

After completing your academic + pool portion, you must participate in your 4 Open Water dives (within 12 months) in order to become SCUBA certified for life. You can also continue your SCUBA adventure with the next levels/courses.

To purchase your required PADI course materials, please click here: Online & self-study

Upon completion of the academic studies, please meet with us by an appointment in order to take the required written quiz and get fitted for your personal gear.

To register for pool training, you MUST select and register for a scheduled course listed in our Course Calendar.

If you are looking for an “Open Water Student Referral” document for an upcoming dive vacation, we would be happy to refer you to a reputable PADI dive center at your destination, or you can make your own arrangements.

Pool Training

All confined water work is conducted in heated indoor pools with all major diving gear (cylinders, regulators, BCD-jackets) provided for you. Students are divided into small groups to receive personalized instruction from staff members.

Open Water Certification Dives

OPEN WATER CERTIFICATION DIVES: Required for certification.

There are 3 options for completing the 4 required Open Water dives:

a) Complete the dives locally over two half-days on a weekend;

b) Join SPE Dive School on a Cayman Island trip at a time suitable to your schedule;

c) Complete the dives on your personal vacation at your preferred destination by obtaining a
PADI Open Water Referral document form from SPE Dive School.


  • It is highly recommended for you to attend one of our FREE of charge orientation sessions prior to your training.
  • The confined water training is offered on select weekends or may be conducted privately (extra charge for private sessions).
  • After completing your academic and pool training portion, you must complete your 4 Open Water dives within 12 months. If the 4 Open Water dives are not completed within the 12 month period, your academic and pool training would expire.

Required Personal Gear

All major SCUBA gear is supplied for the duration of the pool training, except for personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins, fin-booties, weight belt & wetsuit). Your personal gear MUST BE “SCUBA-RATED” and meet your instructor’s approval (“snorkel-rated” gear is not accepted). For your convenience, a large selection of SCUBA diving equipment is available for purchase at discounted prices at our facility private showroom (only available to our students & their family members). As a service, our participants have the option to individually get fitted for, and learn more about personal gear selection at the time they complete their required written academic quiz.

Associated expenses:

a) Academic study code or course materials (book+video);

b) Training/registration fee, which includes: the in-person review & conducting the written quiz, pool training, use of the heated indoor pool as well as all major SCUBA gear (during the pool training);

c) Required personal gear, including: a mask, snorkel, fins, fin booties and the weight belt. Personal gear is typically purchased by 98% of our students, whilst the other 2% would rent;

d) Open Water certification completion dives.

For an up to date price quote, please contact us, since prices usually change a few times a year.

Private Dive Classes

Private SCUBA certification classes are also available for individuals, families or groups, conducted at your preferred location and schedule by appointment only. 

Interested in our Open Water SCUBA Certification Classes?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact us for more information.